Friday, May 17, 2013

My first impressions of Peru!

Douglas Ward - Summer 2013 -

It has been a great weekend her in Peru. Dallin and I arrived early Thursday morning and we have had a great experience over the last few days getting to know Peru and a few of the people here. Since Dallin has been to Peru before we decided that it would be best if I shared some of my very first impressions of Peru. Before coming I had heard about how great Elena and Jaquiline are and I have to say that all of the rumors are true. They have both gone out of their way to help us find our way around the city and to make sure that we are enjoying ourselves. Also we met Alejandro Falcón and he was also very gracious and fun to talk with. All of the people that I have met so far have been very kind and generous!

Now let's talk about food for just a minute. Dallin and I have spent the last few days trying different foods and looking for places where we would like to eat over the next few months. I enjoyed the famous peruvian dish of aji de gallina, a type of shredded chicken smothered in some kind of sauce. The peruvian hamburger I ate was edible but I don't think I'll return to eat at that burger joint again. One of my favorite places so far though is San Augustines. It's a sandwich and juice shop. I ate a simple turkey sandwich with a strawberry smoothie, it was excellent! 

The area of Trujillo where we live has been enjoyable. We live next to a few parks and pretty close to the center of the city. One thing that I'm not really used to is how much honking goes on in the streets. All of the taxis are honking to signal that they are looking for passengers and all of the other cars are honking to warn people or other cars that they are coming through. It's a lot for a stranger to the country but to everyone else here it's just the normal day to day. 

All in all I have loved my first few days in Peru and I am sure that Dallin and I are going to have a great time with a lot more adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment